Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Raghav's thoughts on homeschooling

It came at a perfect time again....Raghav and I have not spoken about these things at all after we started on this journey together. But a few days ago, I was recording myself talking about our story for the webinar and launch of Swashikshan - Indian Homeschoolers Association and Raghav wanted me to video him speak too! So I came up with a few questions and he chose a few of them to speak on. This was the first time he was doing this and although he really wanted me to video this, he found it difficult to recall the answers that he had just shared with me. So he made me write down the points on the blackboard in front of him, for each question- which I did. When he forgot what he wanted to say, he looked at those points and recalled them. Here I am, sharing the videos that we made together for this. Although they were not shared on that day, I believe that sharing it here may open up avenues for parents on the edge, battling with their own fears of what to do and how. He speaks from his heart with both innocence and a deep knowledge of what he wants to share with others. It has been a time to reflect a little on what we have done or gone through in this journey of unschooling so far and renewed my faith in this process. For us it has been both cathartic and empowering.......

 


He also wanted to make a poster for the launch - about his homeschooling experience. We mapped out all the feelings and points and then he looked up Google images to search for appropriate visuals. He then cut them all out and stuck them on to make the poster....and this is the first time he has written so much in one day - I guess because the thought and idea came from him! The poster actually brings out the little things that adults take for granted in the schooling system, that could be huge problems or issues for kids to handle day after day, till they reach a breakdown point.



So....we have come this far.........and yes, we will continue to create our own path together!......

1 comment:

  1. What a joy it is to see him through these years of experimenting & self-discovery. I'm not surprised at all at his insights after hearing him casually declare his fears in the playground the other day. That's totally happy acceptance of self & such healthy self-worth in action. Way to go Raghav!
    I do also want to know- what does he not like about homeschooling if there's such a thing?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable......so please do share them....